PROJECT TIP: Have fun! Wear gloves if you don’t want your fingers stained.
Before you begin:
- Cut out three 2”x7.5” bookmarks out from 140lb watercolor paper
- Round the edges if you would like with scissors or a tool
- Use a hole punch at the top if you would like to add a tassel later.
- Using just 3 watercolor inks, medium magenta, cadmium yellow, and ultramarine blue and size 6 round brush, water down the inks you have dropped onto a plate or palette and paint hearts.
- Add more water for less intense colors and more ink for more pigment.
- Add yellow to the magenta to create a nice blend.
- Mix ultramarine blue with medium magenta to create a pretty purple.
- Experiment with different color blends for various effects.
- Splatter paint by tapping paint off of your brush onto the bookmark.
- Dry your bookmark.
- Outline the hearts with a black or colored fine liner to make them stand out
- Use the same three inks and a Brea Reese Water Brush filled with water.
- Tape your bookmark down with washi or painter’s tape
- Cover your bookmark with a thin layer of water from the water brush.
- Add ultramarine blue to the bottom quarter of the bookmark, then add yellow to the top of the blue
- Add more water and more yellow as you move up the bookmark.
- Add medium magenta to the top portion of the yellow and a bit more magenta above that.
- Use your water brush to move and blend the colors.
- Pick up excess paint and water lightly with a paper towel.
- When it’s dry you can remove the tape.
- Use a marker to letter or illustrate on the bookmark.
Heart Balloon Bouquet:
- Begin with your round brush and medium magenta ink.
- Outline each heart with the ink.
- Fill in the heart shape with just water on your brush pulling in the pigment from your outline.
- Leave a blank or white area with no paint towards one of the sides of the heart to create the balloon 3-D effect.
- Experiment with the colors you can make when adding additional colors to your hearts.
- Add paint splatter if you like by dipping your brush in water first and then the tip in the ink and tapping your brush over the bookmark.
- Once it’s dry outline your hearts with a fine liner marker and add strings to make your balloon bouquet.